CINGAL®: A Powerful Treatment for the Pain of Osteoarthritis
One-Injection Combination Hyaluronic Acid and Steroid
Cingal is the first and only approved combination viscosupplement formulated to provide the benefit of a cross-linked hyaluronic acid (HA) and a fast acting steroid to effectively treat the symptoms associated with osteoarthritis (OA).
Cingal is a powerful, first-in-class treatment that combines the benefits of Anika’s proprietary cross-linked hyaluronic acid formulation of Monovisc®, proven to deliver up to 6 months of relief of the symptoms of OA, with a well-established FDA-approved steroid to treat inflammation and provide additional short-term pain relief.1
Cingal is Anika Therapeutics’ third-generation viscosupplementation product, adding to the Company’s strong product portfolio for the treatment of knee joint pain associated with OA.1 Cingal extends the benefits of Anika’s proprietary HA formulation to a broader range of patients across the spectrum of osteoarthritis management.
The Cingal Advantage
In its pivotal clinical study, Cingal has demonstrated an ability to provide fast and long-lasting pain relief for those affected by knee OA.1
- Steroid provides fast short-term pain relief within days of injection1
- HA viscosupplement provides long lasting pain relief, which may last through 6 months1
- Convenient single-injection treatment
- Highly concentrated, non-animal based HA
- Strong safety profile in both an initial injection as well as a repeat injection1,2
In the European Economic Area and other parts of the world, Cingal is indicated as a viscoelastic supplement or a replacement for synovial fluid in human knee joints. Cingal is well suited for rapid and long term relief of the symptoms of human knee joint dysfunctions such as osteoarthritis. The actions of Cingal are long term relief of symptoms by lubrication and mechanical support supplemented by short-term pain relief provided by triamcinolone hexacetonide.
In Canada, Cingal is indicated for the treatment of pain in osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and to simple analgesics (e.g. acetaminophen). Cingal includes an ancillary steroid to provide additional short term pain relief.
Cingal is not approved for use in the United States.
For complete product information, please refer to product IFU.
- Hangody L, Szody R, Lukasik P, et al. Intraarticular injection of a cross-linked sodium hyaluronate combined with triamcinolone hexacetonide (Cingal) to provide symptomatic relief of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized; double-blind; place-controlled multicenter clinical trial [published online ahead of print May 1, 2017]. Cartilage. doi: 10.1177/1947603517703732
- CINGAL 13-02, an open-label, follow-on study to Cingal 13-01. Anika Therapeutics, Inc.: study sponsor, Dr. Laszlo Hangody: global principal investigator, SynteractHCR: CRO.