Senior Manager, Planning & Distribution
The Senior Manager is responsible for ensuring continuous supply of product in a compliant and cost-efficient manner. The Senior Manager ensures effective planning and storage of raw materials, APIs, components, intermediates and finished goods. This position is responsible for overseeing master planning for the entire company finished-goods inventory encompassing internal manufacturing and external third-party services. The senior manager is responsible for leading S&OP with commercial counterparts, analyzing variability in demand and leadtime, working with relevant stakeholders to determine the optimal stocking policy and level using statistical techniques.
The Senior Manager influences and collaborates with all Anika’s sites including manufacturing operations in MA, partners in Italy, and third-party storage in US, Canada, and EU with the goal to optimize the company build plan, increase production capacity and storage, and meet statistical inventory levels improving customer service and cost.
The incumbent works closely with management to develop strategies and practices that ensures safety, compliance, production schedule adherence, on time and in full customer service, and continuous improvement initiatives. The Senior Manager assesses risk and reduces variances while leveraging technology to positively impact quality and results. This position has a key role in developing and executing complex planning to ensure inventory and warehouse optimization.
- Lead and champion supply chain planning, policies, processes and efforts that increase efficiency, profitability, and sustain company goals, objectives and growth. Develop relationships with functional departments and supply chain teams to ensure cohesive planning and alignment.
- Analyze and maintain master data in ERP system to produce accurate planning requirements.
- Proactively identify operational supply / expiry risks & lead the collaboration with Quality, Manufacturing, Commercial and Supply Chain partners to effectively and rapidly resolve problems.
- Lead weekly / monthly cross functional meetings with Italian Partners to review order status, plan future activities and resolve issues.
- Execute all facets of the S&OP process to provide an optimum customer service level and working capital performance as defined by Anika’s business operating plans and strategic objectives.
- Utilize statistical techniques in analysis of demand variability, leadtime variability, the development and setting of safety stock policy, and tracking relevant trends and metrics.
- Partner with Sales, Marketing, Clinical, R&D, and Finance to ensure the demand consensus process delivers an agreed upon, workable volume forecast (mid and long term).
- Review WIP and FG inventory levels against forecasted and actual sales. Adjust Manufacturing plan to ensure no stock-outs of product.
- Fulfill import for export materials and products ensuring Regulatory compliance.
- Ensure supply chain planning and warehouse teams follow appropriate processes and procedures, leading changes or improvements as needed. Removes barriers when needed.
- Develop and deploy best practices including warehouse management (cycle count accuracy, transactions, etc.) and transportation management (consolidation of shipments, freight selection, etc.).
- Manage the performance of third-party cold chain warehouses by ensuring they have policies, procedures, systems, equipment and trained and sufficient levels of staffing to meet the needs of the business.
- Partner with and hold third party warehouses accountable for meeting scorecard metric targets, utilizing RCA (Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Actions) and continuous improvement processes to increase service performance, maintaining accurate and current inventories, operational efficiencies and to drive cost out of the supply chain for mutual benefit.
- Conduct site audits of the third-party warehouse operations to ensure compliance.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional projects such as new 3PL cold chain warehouse start-ups, the roll-out of new service offerings, conducting RFP’s, implementing strategies to meet customer requirements, new product introductions, etc.
The Senior Manager has direct responsibility for the delivery, storage and distribution of product meeting internal and external customer expectations. The position requires strong analytical and persuasive skills. Erroneous or mistimed decisions may cause critical delays or cost impact and may have an immediate effect on the company’s success.
Leadership responsibilities include managing third parties, Master Schedulers and Warehouse personnel. Leadership competencies include customer focus, drive for results, action-oriented, managerial courage, problem solving, managing vision and purpose, interpersonal savvy, business acumen, and total work systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Engineering, Life Sciences, or Supply Chain Management. Candidates with Life Sciences and Supply Chain Management background must demonstrate strong statistical fundamentals as they relate to supply chain planning.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in cGMP manufacturing, including 3PL management, business continuity planning, warehouse expansion, cold chain supply, and inventory controls.
- Minimum of 3 years of production planning experience.
- Demonstrated experience with quality system regulations and MRP/ ERP systems, preferably SAP S/4HANA.
- Strong fundamental understanding of statistical techniques underlying supply chain management, planning, and characterization, safety stock policy and level setting, and characterization of the variability in lead-time and demand a must have for this position.