HVAC Facilities Technician
Location: Bedford, MA
The HVAC Facilities Technician performs preventative and corrective maintenance on a variety of complex utility systems within a GMP manufacturing facility. Equipment includes but is not limited to; HVAC-R, steam boilers, cold rooms, compressed air and gas systems, Reverse Osmosis (RO) and Water for Injection (WFI) systems, waste water treatment, clean steam generation and process/chilled water systems.
The HVAC Facilities Technician will also perform corrective and preventive maintenance on manufacturing and process equipment specific to a GMP manufacturing facility, such as Bioreactors, filling machines, chromatography columns autoclaves, glass washers and packaging equipment.
The HVAC Facilities Technician must be able to interpret drawings, wiring diagrams, and equipment specifications to effectively perform troubleshooting and repair activities. This role will be responsible for providing support for new equipment and plant system installations as necessary.
Strategic Focus Areas:
- Ensure that all facilities and maintenance activities are performed in accordance with current internal and external requirements for safety, quality, regulatory environmental, and compliance standards
- Commit to continuous improvement through the identification and implementation of new ideas that positively impact a segment or area of the organization and its overall performance
- Collaboratively work to resolve issues and improve overall organizational performance
Specific Tactical Responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day operation of plant utility systems; monitor the overall operation and status of the utility systems and submit work notifications for system repairs as needed.
- Perform and document all corrective, preventative maintenance and calibration activities performed on GMP facility equipment and/or systems in accordance with GDP requirements to ensure that maintenance is performed and deficiencies are identified and corrected within a timely manner,
- Support installation of new equipment and systems according to procedure and ensure all documentation is complete and received, ensures equipment is entered in tracking database and new electronic file is created.
- Participate in cross functional teams created to perform investigations, root cause analysis, CAPA creation or improvement opportunities as needed and appropriate for your area of expertise
- Engage in and contribute to the organization’s Reliability program as a subject matter expert in your skill and knowledge areas
- Obtain and maintain gown certification for clean room entry
- Perform weekend walkthrough duties according to schedule
- Participate in an On-Call rotation for off hour facility emergencies
- Operation of the building management system (BMS). Control building systems and monitor/ respond to alarm conditions to resolve identified issues in a timely manner and in accordance with all safety, quality and compliance requirements.
- Ensure that all required quality and safety training is completed on time and current
- Oversee general facility operations, ensuring the facility is in the best working order and condition possible.
- Supervise subcontractors and vendors required to execute work related to small projects and general maintenance activities.
- Ensure/maintain all utility equipment areas in a constant state of inspection readiness.
- Continuously evaluate the operation of all utility systems; identify specific process improvement needs and provide recommendations for system upgrades.
This job requires a level of technical proficiency in multiple skill areas and the ability to interpret complex information to solve problems along with plumbing skills to support to facility.
May act as team leader or facilitator
- Progressive experience in a cGMP technical role
- Knowledge of HVAC and refrigeration systems including capability to receive certifications and refrigeration license.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize on a daily basis based on current needs.
- Demonstrated strong verbal & written communication.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheets, databases and email applications.
- Practical knowledge of equipment maintenance, operation, control and cleaning for process equipment; HVAC; Chilled Water; Electrical; Waste Treatment; Bulk Chemical and Process Utility systems.
- General knowledge of shop tool operation, organization and safety.
- Willingness to participate in an on-call rotation requiring response to building alarms during off hours (nights, weekends and holidays). Willingness to work overtime or a temporarily modified shift schedule to support production operations and needed.
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to work independently without daily supervision.
- Well organized individual being able to self-manage and set priorities to meet deadlines and provide follow-up and feedback on all employee requests and business issues.
- Drive for continued growth and development to match new technologies.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Experience working for a maintenance organization in a cGMP Biotech/Pharmaceutical manufacturing environment
- Licensure in any of the other following areas: Waste Water Treatment, Refrigeration/Air Conditioning or boiler license.
- Ability to work autonomously, effectively manage time to achieve goals and objectives
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with CMMS system for tracking maintenance work orders.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not tolerate discrimination based on characteristics such as age, gender, gender identity and expression, genetic status, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, military status, family status, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.