Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director of Technical Services
Responsible for health, safety and environmental (HSE) compliance at all Anika facilities. This will include assessment and implementation of absent programs and the continued oversight and administration of existing HSE programs. This position will interface with all departments to ensure existing processes and special projects are in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local regulations. The HSE Manager implements and maintains an environmental health and safety program involving hazard identification evaluation and control, accident/injury prevention, hazardous material/waste management, emergency preparedness, fire/life safety, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, and environmental regulatory compliance.
- Provides HSE leadership, training and operational support to all levels of the organization and across all functional groups.
- Ensures all HSE processes and procedures are implemented and standardized across Anika’s Bedford manufacturing facility.
- Tracks company health and safety metrics and use the data to identify and to reduce risk.
- Works closely with Engineering and Facilities on special projects involving plant construction, equipment design, and hazardous assessments.
- Assists in all aspects of incident investigation including verifying root cause and approving the implementation of preventative actions
- Ensures emergency response systems, policies and procedures are in place to manage emergency situations.
- Maintains all Federal, State, and Local permits in current and valid condition.
- Maintains Chemical Hazardous waste program including chemical accumulation and accumulation area inspections.
- Provides hazardous material/right to know training and MSD management.
- Provides laboratory safety support along with periodic Lab-pack cleanouts as required or necessary.
- Performs industrial hygiene activities including chemical monitoring, ozone monitoring, and any other monitoring programs as necessary.
- Prepares regulatory agency submissions including but not limited to EPA Tier II, SARA 313, RCRA Biennial, OSHA Logs/reports.
- Maintains current working knowledge of all applicable HSE regulations.
- Maintains all necessary training and licensing to function as a signing authority on all HSE matters.
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Works on problems of technical and legal scope requiring critical thinking and interaction with internal and external technical professionals along with individuals representing official agencies. Exercises broad judgment within generally defined practices and policies. Is the primary subject matter expert on all HSE topics.
The HSE Manager has direct supervision of consultants, contractors and subcontractors.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills Required:
- BS with 10+ year’s related experience in an HSE leadership role; safety, engineering, or equivalent science degree.
- MS with 7+ year’s related experience in an HSE leadership role; safety, engineering or equivalent science degree.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to communicate effectively with regulatory authorities, government officials, major customers and senior executives within the organization.
- Experience creating and managing a budget including resource allocation and priority setting.
- Successful leadership and hands-on direction of HSE issues in major operating facilities and business functions that support divisional projects.
- Experience in a globally and technically diverse workplace.
- Experience in taking on an HSE leadership role during the design and construction phases of facilities that have complex R&D, chemistry, microbiology, manufacturing, and packaging equipment.
- Direct experience working with high volume solvents and chemicals.
- Experience dealing with the complexities of the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, motivate and direct teams in a matrix organization.
- Experienced at developing and implementing customer-focused services and programs.
- Previous experience related to the enforcement of federal and state regulations (DOT, EPA, OSHA, NRC, etc.) is desirable.