Job Title: Buyer Planner
Supervisor: Director of Materials
Strategic Focus Areas:
- Maintain effective collaboration with internal colleagues to meet corporate objectives and drive improved business results
- Design and implement programs, materials and activities which support the growth efforts of the Company.
- Maintain cost discipline within assigned programs
Specific Tactical Responsibilities:
- Provide procurement plans to meet forecasting and inventory requirements. Utilize sales forecast/data to schedule inventory materials from suppliers to meet forecasting and inventory requirements; expedite/defer deliveries, as necessary, to support operational objectives
- Determine appropriate supply, inventory and budgeting of raw materials; develop plans to improve performance and COGS; Optimize inventory levels to minimize costs by managing inventory carrying costs, bulk purchase discounts, production planning, and lead times.
- Obtain competitive quotations and select suppliers based on quality, cost, lead-time, service and financial stability.
- Identify potential new sources of supply and initiate supplier qualification activities.
- Respond to production issues and adjust purchasing schedule as required; communicate any major variations to affected parties
- Primary interface for internal customers on day-to-day supply chain issues, concerns and questions
- Identify and manage slow moving or obsolete inventory.
- Establish metrics to monitor supplier performance.
- Manage activities pertaining to cycle count program and compile all related metrics
- Identify and report key performance indicators to measure supplier performance;
- Achieve company goals and objectives for financial and service level metrics
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned
The position requires strong analytical and persuasive skills. Routinely influencing external suppliers is a fundamental responsibility of this position. Identifying and resolving differences between company and supplier objectives as well as the customer requirement, involves regular contact with supplier management and decision makers. Management of the internal requirements is a key role of the position. Specifications, quality, delivery, cost requirements need to be understood and managed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related discipline
- At least 3 years purchasing/planning experience with emphasis on manufacturing in the medical/bio-tech industry
- Knowledge of quality system regulations and MRP/ ERP systems
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- APICS certification, CPIM, or CPM
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with manufacturing, quality, marketing/sales, finance and engineering departments
- Ability to work autonomously, effectively manage time and deliver results on time
- Ability to influence others to action
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Prior contract/supplier relationship management
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office